by Lily Hou, PhD, CHMM
On March 4, 2020, China’s State Administration for Market Regulation (SAMR) and the Standardization Administration of China (SAC) jointly published the National Standards Announcement No. 2 of 2020, regarding the approval of seven national standards on volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and harmful substances used in adhesives, coatings, cleaning agents and printing inks. The titles of the approved GB standards are as follows:
• GB 18581-2020 (Limits of Harmful Substances of Woodenware Coatings)
• GB 18582-2020 (Limits of Harmful Substances of Architectural Wall Coatings)
• GB 30981-2020 (Limits of Harmful Substances of Industrial Protective Coatings)
• GB 24409-2020 (Limits of Harmful Substances of Vehicle Coatings)
• GB 38507-2020 (Limits of Volatile Organic Compounds in Printing Inks)
• GB 33372-2020 (Limits of Volatile Organic Compounds Content in Adhesives)
• GB 38508-2020 (Limits of Volatile Organic Compounds Content in Cleaning Agents)
These mandatory standards set the content limits of VOCs or some other hazardous substances that are harmful to human health and the environment, such as formaldehyde and heavy metals, used in different products. GB 38507-2020 will come into force on April 1, 2021, and the other six standards will enter into effect on December 1, 2020.
National Standards Announcement No. 2 of 2020: http://std.sacinfo.org.cn/gnoc/queryInfo?id=DBFEEDF05290B415CFBBEAA40EA24D78
China, Volatile Organic Compounds, VOCs
Never Miss an Update:
UL’s global Regulatory Assurance Team contains more than 50 regulatory analysts worldwide, serving customers in six continents, with multi-lingual support in more than 30 languages. Our team can help you navigate the complex, ever changing regulatory landscape to understand and execute your compliance obligations.
For all of the latest regulatory news and the most important industry updates, sign up for our monthly Regulatory Round-Up Newsletter.