by Xunyao Fu, PhD.
On January 13, 2020, the amendment of Taiwan’s Toxic Chemical Substances Labeling and Materials Safety Data Sheets Regulations (毒性化學物質標示及安全資料表管理辦法) was published by the Environmental Protection Administration Order Huan-Shu-Tu-Tzu No. 1098000003.
Taiwan’s Toxic Chemical Substances Control Act (毒性化學物質管理法) was amended and renamed the Toxic and Concerned Chemical Substances Control Act (毒性及關注化學物質管理法) on January 16, 2019. Based on the additional requirements on concerned chemical substances, the Toxic Chemical Substances Labelling and Materials Safety Data Sheets Regulations was amended and renamed the Toxic and Concerned Chemical Substances Labeling and Materials Safety Data Sheets Regulations (毒性及關注化學物質標示與安全資料表管理辦法). The key changes are:
- Adding requirements on concerned chemical substances. The managements for concerned chemical substances are the same as those for toxic chemical substances.
- Allowing an alternative method for labelling such as a fold-out label, a tagged label or a label on the outer package, when it is difficult to use an entire label due to the size or shape of a container or package.
- Specifying use of traditional Chinese for labeling and Safety Data Sheets with English allowed when necessary.
- Requiring review of Safety Data Sheets at least once every 3 years.
- Allowing use of the same Safety Data Sheets for a toxic or concerned chemical substance with different concentration but the same usage and hazardous properties.
- Requiring inclusion of CAS numbers for hazardous substances on a label.
The majority of the Regulations will take effect beginning January 16, 2020; Article 3 and Article 12 will take effect a year later to give suppliers of labels and Safety Data Sheets enough time to review and modify them.
Recommended Action Items:
- Read through the Regulations to understand all of the changes;
- Review and modify the labels and Safety Data Sheets to make them compliant to the Regulations.
Hazard Communication Compliance Simplified
With an array of increasingly complex compliance challenges, and an ever-changing regulatory landscape, how can you successfully manage your hazard communication and SDS requirements?
UL’s market-leading hazard communication and SDS authoring solutions enable you to easily manage your EHS initiatives and regulatory compliance obligations.
Whether you require a cost-effective SDS authoring solution, or a fully integrated global chemical data management system, UL can help. You can find out more information about our SDS solutions here.
- Taiwan Publishes Amendment to Regulations for the Labelling and Hazard Communication of Hazardous Chemicals https://msc.ul.com/en/resources/article/taiwan-publishes-amendment-to-regulations-for-the-labelling-and-hazard-communication-of-hazardous-chemicals/
The Executive Yuan Gazette News Online on the Amendment of Toxic Chemical Substances Labeling and Materials Safety Data Sheets Regulations, January 13, 2020. (Source is only available in Traditional Chinese) https://gazette.nat.gov.tw/egFront/detail.do?metaid=112549&log=detailLog
Toxic Chemical Substances Labeling and Materials Safety Data Sheets Regulations https://law.moj.gov.tw/ENG/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?pcode=O0060037
Taiwan, Toxic and Concerned Chemical Substances, Label, Safety Data Sheet
Never Miss an Update:
UL’s global Regulatory Assurance Team contains more than 50 regulatory analysts worldwide, serving customers in six continents, with multi-lingual support in more than 30 languages. Our team can help you navigate the complex, ever changing regulatory landscape to understand and execute your compliance obligations.
For all of the latest regulatory news and the most important industry updates, sign up for our monthly Regulatory Round-Up Newsletter.