Investing in marketing can help businesses in the chemical industry achieve growth. But, without the correct audience, you’re unlikely to generate many leads or see conversions. The first step to successful B2B chemical lead generation is taking the time to identify your audience. The second is coming up with strategies to best reach those interested in what you have to offer. UL Prospector®, can help you do just that.
Identifying your audience for B2B marketing
While you may assume you’ll make more sales by reaching as many people as possible, failing to identify your specific audience generates unqualified leads that may cost your business time and money. Instead, you need to determine which type of businesses need the products you sell and invest your marketing attempts toward them. If you’re not sure who to include in your target audience, take these steps to research and narrow down your list of potential leads:
Gather data on your current customers
By examining the demographics and characteristics of the customers you already have, you gain a good idea of who you should market to in the future. If you’re not already doing so, use web and digital marketing analytics to effectively gather this data.
This information allows you to measure how leads are finding your business, how long people are staying on your website, and where conversions are coming from, e.g., calling a phone number from an ad or filling out a contact form after visiting your website, among other factors. You can use this data to create a buyer persona — a research-based profile of your ideal audience — and build your marketing campaign around it.
Identify your top competitors
Make a list of your top competitors, which includes any businesses that sell similar products or services as you. If you don’t already have a clear idea of who your competitors might be, perform a competitor analysis to gather information. Online resources like SEMrush and SpyFu can help you pull together data and access real-time info on top competitors.
Consider your brand and specific products
Having a clear identity as a business is essential for knowing who to target and how to push B2B chemical lead generation. What do you have to offer customers that they can’t just get anywhere else? Knowing the answer to this question can help you identify markets that you don’t already target.
Targeting your audience
Once you have a clear idea of who your target market is, the next step is to generate leads by identifying the best ways to reach this group of people. Understand that the tactics used for targeting consumers are different from what is used to target other businesses. While customers often purchase items on a want basis, business owners are almost always looking for products or solutions that fulfill a need for their company. B2B marketing also relies on mutual trust that is built through education and communication.
For B2B marketing in the chemicals industry, you can promote your lead generation efforts with these different methods:
- Social media: Organic content and advertisements on social media accounts, such as LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, allow businesses a place to educate potential customers on the benefits of their product. Many marketers follow the Marketing Rule of 7, meaning it takes about seven times for a person to see or interact with an advertisement before purchasing. Social media advertising exposes leads to the same message multiple times, keeping your brand top of mind.
- Searchable database: Prospector is a great place to appeal and sell directly to businesses that are looking for the necessary materials and ingredients to make their own products. Many different industry leaders use Prospector to meet their business goals, allowing you to target your niche audience more directly.
- Website and content development: Creating an SEO-friendly website full of informational content can get potential customers directly to your website through search engines. Taking time to develop an eye-catching, accessible website is an essential part of branding your company. This also helps convert leads once they end up on your site through a Google search or by clicking an ad.
- Educational content: Publishing free blogs, e-books, webinars and other types of educational content gets your brand in front of more people and poses your company as industry experts. While this information can mention and promote your products, the goal should be to keep the content informational in nature.
- Chat platforms: Adding a chatbot — an automated customer service tool that queries and responds in real time to customer input — to your website or using social media chat features may allow you to quickly respond to leads and begin building a relationship. Even if no one is available from your company to communicate after hours, an automated bot can answer common questions website visitors have and collect contact information. Always make sure you are using proper security measures with new technologies to keep your platforms safe.
If you’re a business in the chemical industry and are looking for better results from your current marketing efforts, it may be time to reanalyze your target market and to develop better B2B chemical lead generation strategies. Team up with our experts at UL to better reach your audience and get conversions.